Dear Wallyhood readers,
It has been an honor to serve my rotating post as editor-of-the-week since last April when Wallyhood was officially “re-launched” to operate as a shared editorial effort among myself, Jordan, Katy, Ben, and Jack. After starting the blog and dedicating over seven years to keeping it running, Jordan reached out to his readers for support and the community responded by helping to come up with a more sustainable model.
Today, we are a solid team of 5 editors who meet monthly to talk about what’s happening in the neighborhood and ensure that the content of many talented writers gets published for your reading pleasure throughout the week. It’s truly been an inspiration to watch our neighborhood show up to keep this awesome resource alive!
I’m writing today because some recent life events require me to step away from my editor post for at least the summer, and we’re looking for a new editor to come on board and join our team! Our ideal editor enjoys the blog, wants to see it thrive, and has 3-4 hours per month to commit to a weekly editor post (once every 5 weeks), with the following responsibilities during their shift:
- Maintain a shared editorial calendar to keep a posting schedule of about 3 articles/week
- Assign writers for stories and ensure they meet deadlines
- Develop new story ideas and recruit writers
- Proof and occasionally write articles yourself
- Check and respond to emails in the [email protected] inbox
- Basic understanding of WordPress or similar CMS or willingness to learn
- Meet roughly 1x/month in-person or virtually for a check-in with fellow editors
This rotation has worked well for us to date and helps keep us connected to one another and our community, while still allowing us to lead our busy lives with many other commitments.
Ideally, we’d like to get this post filled by May 1. If you are interested, please write us at [email protected]llyhood.org with questions or learn more.