Sorry, the Forums were getting overrun by spammers, and I’m having some trouble installing new software that will prevent it. Give us a week or so, and the new and improved, spam-free (probably) forums will be back. Sorry for the inconvenience!

1. wayne146 said,

Let me know if you need help with additional monitors to help with deleting spammers to keep Wallyhood “clean” and free of garbage.

Mon, October 8 at 6:56 am
  2. Michael H. said,

Thanks for your work keeping these forums working!

Wed, October 10 at 10:21 am
  3. Alex said,

FOUND

Set of car keys Sat AM on 43rd Street between Wallingford Ave and Densmore Ave just north of the park.

ID number of keys on chain and make of car and I’ll return them.

Sat, October 13 at 12:41 pm
  4. MaryW said,

Just want to add my thanks to you for your work on the forums and your diligence in keeping the spam out!

Sat, October 13 at 6:34 pm
  5. Mike said,

Ferret found in QFC parking lot. Call 527-8539 to reclaim.

Sun, October 14 at 11:34 am
  6. impliedobserver said,

It’s Tuesday at 8:00 pm on 10/16/12 . Less than 15 minutes ago at 4th and Pacific a cat ran in front of my car. I was unable to stop in time. I think I probably hit it. I felt what was either my anti-lock breaks or the cat. I could not find the cat anywhere. Not in the bushes on the Burke Gilman or in the bushes near where it happened. The cat seemed to be a fit tabby of some sort. I hope this cat is okay. If you are missing a cat and you live in the neighborhood and this sounds like your cat, I hope you are able to find them. I did not see a collar on the cat, but then it happened very fast.

Tue, October 16 at 8:04 pm
  7. Chas Fisher said,

Just a bit of warning to anyone who has election yard signs in their yards:

Our Obama yard sign was stolen from our yard at 43rd & Woodlawn some time after Tuesday’s debate.

C. Fisher

Thu, October 18 at 10:43 am
  8. Mike said,

My car and one other down the block had the driver’s side windows smashed in last night. It was searched but nothing stolen. Parked on 34th and Densmore. Anyone see/hear/know anything?

Sat, October 20 at 5:27 pm
  9. Rebecca said,

We have lost our beautiful, orange tabby cat Monty. He was last seen Monday night, 10/15/12. He is very friendly and had no collar as he can not keep one on him. He is greatly missed and any info would be greatly appreciated! We live on 4th ave NE.

Sat, October 20 at 7:03 pm
  10. Michael H. said,

Mike, car prowling is an ongoing problem in the area. There are previous posts about it. You can report it to the SPD online.

Sun, October 21 at 12:57 pm
  11. howe said,

I have seen a guy with reddish brown beard, caucasion, hoody, larger build blatantly looking into my car windows and then continuing down the street. I’ve also seen this with one other person who lives in the neighborhood that I have previously described. The only way we’ll ever know, is if someone catches them in the act and has a bat, stun gun or ??? and we take them down personally. The police don’t care about car theives or prowlers of any sort. I’m not sure what type of crime they are actually fighting, or investigating, truth be told. If you are a cop or know what they do, please clue me in? (very sarcastically said btw, i’m just a jaded victim :)

Mon, October 22 at 9:49 am
  12. Stephanie said,

Hi neighbors-
    In the last month, 3 out of us 4 roommates have gotten flat tires. Ironically, the same rear tire and usually a week a part from the previous flat. We have found this to be very suspicious and just too much of a coincidence to believe it’s unintentional. After the 3rd car was found with a flat, we took handling the situation more seriously in filing police reports. This flat tire was also confirmed to have been intentional by the size of the screw and the nature of it’s placement. We have spoken with our immediate neighbors but also just want to warn the community to check your tires before driving and to keep a lookout. Safety first! If you have seen or heard of anything, please let me know!

Mon, October 22 at 1:43 pm
  13. Whimsical4 said,

We had someone get into our car last night, on 1st ave near 40th. It was obvious they had searched around the car, and they took a pair of shoes. Just a reminder to be diligent about locking!

Mon, October 22 at 7:03 pm
  14. Whimsical4 said,

@rebecca, there was an orange cat on my back porch sun morning, and I saw him later lurking on 1st ave between 40th and 41st. I didn’t get a good look because he got spooked by my dog and took of pretty quick!

Mon, October 22 at 7:08 pm
  15. Jon Berkedal said,

Stephanie….where do you live? I live a couple blocks from John Stanford school and have had screws in my tires twice in the last year. Did not think that someone had put them their until I read your post…..

Tue, October 23 at 10:23 am
  16. caroline said,

I just had a flat tire from a nail or screw two weeks ago. I live on Sunnyside between 45th & 46th.

Tue, October 23 at 2:58 pm
  17. countingpigs said,

Oh, stop getting your panties in a bunch. We live in a densly parked and populated area – of course there are car prowlers. Your $150 worth of merchandise that is stolen isn’t worth spending down the police budget to regulary investigate and patrol your street every 10 minutes.

Howe – the phrase you’re looking for isn’t “the police don’t care” – the police love to use their whirly flashy lights. The phrase is “the police don’t have the budget to be your personal mall cop”

Tue, October 23 at 3:03 pm
  18. Stephanie said,

Hi Jon-We live between 45th and 46th on Eastern Ave N. And we believe that someone has given us flats because what are the odds that all 3 of us receive a flat days/weeks a part from each other? And once the 3rd car had gotten a flat, we had both the AAA gentleman and the gentlemen who work at Les Schwab take a look-all in which say the screw was intentionally put in the tire.

Tue, October 23 at 5:04 pm
  19. hayduke said,

countingpigs, Your devil-may-care attitude makes you part of the problem. As long as people like you continue to shrug your shoulders and tolerate crime and anti-social behavior in your neighborhood, it’s going to continue.

Will there always be crime? Yes, of course. Can we be vigilant and work to decrease it. Yes.

It’s been my experience as well that the cops here don’t give a rat’s ass about car prowls. They can’t even be bothered to come file a report or dust for very obvious prints (on a rear side window that i wouldn’t have touched). So I’m curious, as you you seem to agree, with your “personal mall cop” quote: if the cops can’t be bothered, than would you support taking the law into your own hands and going to town on their kneecaps with a baseball bat? Or would you be content to sit back, watch them rifle through your belongings and steal your ID, and chalk it up to living in a densely populated area? Do you believe in the right to physically defend your property? Or perhaps you’ll just run out and say “Stop! Or I’ll call the police!”

Remember, when seconds count, the cops are only minutes away.

Wed, October 24 at 8:00 pm
  20. countingpigs said,

@hayduke: Writing “cops here don’t give a rat’s ass” isn’t really accurate is it? Given that it’s policy not to have an in-person response for property thefts that amount to less than $500 commercial value.

Really what you’re complaining about is policy that no policeman/woman really has a say in.

I’m not saying to tolerate crime – I’m saying that you aren’t solving anything by complaining about police not responding to your petty theft. And no theft of property, no matter the value, is worth killing or maiming someone over so get over your silly attitudes about being the law and capping some knees.

This is a budget issue – not a police suck issue. Budgeting requires priorities. In the same way you can’t spend your families budget for the year on petty things – nor can the police force (of course bad decisions get made & stupid spending occurs in everyone’s budget). You may not agree with the priorities – but government can’t please everyone in a democracy.

Wed, October 24 at 11:49 pm
  21. Frankie said,

The tire thing is quite real. Our neighbor had all his tires punctured. It’s a local nutcase, IMO. This is his or her hobby.

Thu, October 25 at 2:54 pm
  22. Stephanie said,

@Frankie Did your neighbor file a police report? The more reports that are filed the more attention it will bring to this situation. This is not ok. And just curious, what part of Wallingford do you live in?

Thu, October 25 at 3:16 pm
  23. Frankie said,

I believe he did, and we’re on 42nd near 2nd.

Fri, October 26 at 11:51 am
  24. Scott said,

If SPD doesn’t have the budget to respond to calls (30 mins in attempted break-in at my neighbors last week), or to take the time to dust for prints, maybe it’s because they’re spending all their money on drones (http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/See-what-SPD-drones-look-like-3983169.php).

BTW – I think I’ve seen the dude w/ the beard and hoodie around before. If I spot him again I’ll follow him around a bit and see if he messes with cars. Remember folks… we pretty much all have cameras in our pockets these days w/ cell phones. Take pictures or video if you see something of note.

Sat, October 27 at 12:14 am
  25. Judy said,

I too had a tire punctured by a screw about 6 weeks ago. Parked somewhere between Bagley and Sunnyside, 44th to N. of 46th. I had to replace the tire since puncture was near the sidewall. I also had a vandal twist the driver side mirror off the car, parked on Bagley near the Iron Bull.

Wed, October 31 at 7:52 am
  26. wick said,

FYI – there are a group of boys out egging cars and houses this halloween. We just got hit at 43rd and Meridian.

Wed, October 31 at 4:29 pm
  27. Margaret Hamilton said,

Hope they come to my house!!!!!

Wed, October 31 at 4:54 pm
  28. Kendall said,

Is Wallyhood going to do an investigation about the restaurant that is taking over the old Rain spot? I heard they undercut the owners of Rain and negotiated a new lease with the landlord while simultaneously negotiating with Rain to buy the restaurant. If that’s true, everybody in Wallingford should boycott that place until it’s bankrupt.

Wed, October 31 at 6:17 pm
  29. Frankie said,

Sorry Kendall, but I am voting with my belly – the new place sounds delicious and the previous restaurant never complained, at least in public. It also sounds weird. there’s plenty of vacant restaurant space in Seattle, without resorting to chicanery.

Thu, November 1 at 2:08 pm
  30. Kendall said,

Frankie: Are you saying that you don’t think it’s true, or that it doesn’t matter to you? If it doesn’t matter to you, that’s pretty shameful in my opinion. Rain was a long standing restaurant in our neighborhood and people should care that they were mistreated.

I have personally heard the same story recounted to me about what happened from 8 different sources, some of them directly involved. (And what I’ve heard is pretty damning.) What I haven’t heard is the other side of the story. Before jumping to conclusions, I would like to give the new place a chance to respond. I don’t think that the owners of the place would necessarily care about what I think, but perhaps they would talk to Wallyhood.

My two cents have been laid down.

Thu, November 1 at 3:47 pm
  31. almond67 said,

Last night, person dress up “grip reaper” came to the house at 10pm for trick treating! why? It was late and of course at first i was startled to see and do not understand how late person show up.
    now i was reading news that “grip reaper” did rob a family in Beacon Hill, i was wondering if you anyone see him in our neighborhood ???

Thu, November 1 at 3:55 pm
  32. Michael H. said,

What’s shameful is repeating a potentially libelous story to smear without any evidence or even knowing whether it is true or not.

Fri, November 2 at 7:09 am
  33. Donn said,

Well, of course you don’t specifically state that anyone did repeat a story that way, but assuming that was aimed at Kendall … `8 different sources, some of them directly involved’ sounds like more evidence than we’d normally expect from the regular site blog authors.

But it isn’t much of a story – one sided, thin on details. Maybe Rain has been the worst tenant ever and they’re finally getting what’s coming to them. I have no idea, really none at al. The problem here really is that the new owners and the landlord are NOT going to wade in here and go over their business practices so that we can all have plentiful information to pass judgement on their ethics. I don’t know if I would even wish for that, but in any case it’s highly unlikely. The most we could expect is for some other more or less anonymous commenter to turn up with claims to have heard the landlord’s account of it, etc.

It seems like an interesting idea – use a community oriented forum as a place to clue the community to ethical issues that we would otherwise not suspect. I’ve read that a certain Walllingford restaurant owner confiscates tips, for example. That’s good to know … but, do I know that? Is there the faintest chance that businesses would get a fair defense against claims like that?

Fri, November 2 at 9:00 am
  34. Lauren E. said,

Re: Miyabi. I’m very much looking forward to having this in the neighborhood as I’m a huge fan of soba. I’ve contacted them through their Facebook page and asked them to respond to the allegations made on this thread. Hopefully they will.

Fri, November 2 at 10:06 am
  35. Kendall said,

Michael H is somewhat right. I do believe I have evidence but a public forum is not the place to have this discussion. What I wanted to do was to ask Wallyhood to investigate, not start a back and forth. I apologize and if I can figure out how to delete my old entries, I will.

Fri, November 2 at 10:30 am
  36. protected static said,

Kendall: You can’t. You can, however, email Jordan ([email protected]) and ask him to have your comments removed.

Fri, November 2 at 11:27 am
  37. Frankie said,

And the bit about me being unfazed by unproven allegations being shameful! I just love Soba.

Fri, November 2 at 5:00 pm
  38. Frankie said,

“I’ve read that a certain Walllingford restaurant owner confiscates tips, for example.” Haha! I bet I know who that is!

Fri, November 2 at 5:01 pm
  39. Bruce said,

KEYS FOUND at corner of N. 51st and Wallingford Ave. N.

Sun, November 4 at 4:10 pm
  40. Gerald Simonsen said,

I just wanted to mention that we are doing some serious election watching at the Iron Bull tomorrow night.
    Everybody over 21 is welcome to join us.
    Tacos for a buck…….

Mon, November 5 at 10:05 pm
  41. mindi said,

@Rebecca — did you ever find your cat??? There is a found orange tabby near the Taco Time on 45th posted on craigslist. Wallyhood folks .. could you pass along my email to Rebecca so I can send her a photo??

Mon, November 5 at 10:20 pm
  42. Wally said,

Without going into detail, I heard the same story about the Miyabi folks double dealing with Rain to purchase their space, while at the same time meeting with the landlord to evict Rain so they would not have to purchase the space from Rain but could then put that money into renovating the space thus making the landlord happy. Rain was subsequently evicted and given 3 days notice to vacate. The folks I heard it from are not liars, nor am I. I personally don’t need to hear from Miyabi in order for the story to be true, I will simply tell my friends and neighbors who want to know that I will not be supporting Miyabi. The truth is not slanderous. This is our neighborhood and we have a responsibility to protect each other from those that harm us and our neighbors, Just as we post about suspicious characters prowling about and young kids vandalizing.

Wed, November 7 at 11:20 am
  43. CL said,

Wally,

I respect your choice if you feel that it’s the right one for you, but it still seems weird to spread negative publicity of a new business here without proper evidence. While there may be some truth behind your story, it seems equally likely that it was actually the landlord who behaved dishonestly. If this is the case, I can imagine that the new business owners do not necessarily want to speak out… even in their own defense.

Follow your own convictions if you believe in the people who told you stories, but why work so hard to sour the community’s perspective of a new business? It is especially disturbing when it follows other readers’ comments that read, “Let’s all boycott the place until it’s bankrupt!!”

Wed, November 7 at 5:13 pm
  44. Donn said,

Another way to see this, if you like, is that it makes Rain look bad. Like they couldn’t manage their affairs with their landlord like every other business does, and afterwards they bad mouth their successors. If they’re looking for a new location, they sure had better hope this negative publicity campaign doesn’t come to the attention of prospective landlords, who might not be interested in taking on such an `entitled’ tenant with a history of trouble like this.

I’m not saying that’s really how it is, it’s just how this word of mouth thing makes them look, from a business perspective. I imagine in this big city there have been many, many retail tenants who have been unhappy with their landlords – really, what a curse I imagine it must be to try to make a go of it with all the work that has to be done to run a business and the skimpy profits, and then have to feed a landlord on top of that who has the power to send you packing at any time – but we normally don’t hear a word about it, because they’re grown-ups.

Thu, November 8 at 7:10 am
  45. Margaret Hamilton said,

. . . in a perfect world: buy the building the little independent business is in. Be the landlord you wish to be. Cut out the commercial realtors and the people who pass buildings around on paper regardless of the commerce going on in their respective retail/restaurant spaces. (And figure out a way to lower WA state sales tax so brick-and-mortar spaces can be competitive with Oregon and the interweb.)

Thu, November 8 at 9:49 am
  46. Michael H. said,

I agree with Donn. If anything the story above makes Rain look bad. It claims that Rain was trying to pick up some extra cash by selling something that didn’t belong to them, the space that they were leasing from someone else. It’s not really surprising that the people who actually own the space wouldn’t want to play ball.

In reality, I’m not going to let it reflect on my opinion of Rain, Miyabi, or anyone else, because despite “Wally’s” claim that he is not a liar, nor are the people who he heard it from, I have no idea who he or any of these people are and no reason to think they know what happened.

Thu, November 8 at 2:58 pm
  47. info said,

packages repeatedly stolen from our apt building mail area.

Fri, November 9 at 4:29 pm
  48. impliedobserver said,

Anyone know of a place you can get a growler on Thanksgiving?

Tue, November 13 at 8:10 am
  49. Rob said,

re: Growlers

Have you tried Chuck’s Hop Shop? I wouldn’t put it past them to be open Thursday morning just for this sort of thing. Maybe Bottleworks? (I doubt it.)

But why not just get one as late as possible on Wednesday? Keep the lid on and keep it in the fridge. It’ll be fine.

Tue, November 13 at 8:30 am
  50. Margaret said,

@impliedobserver, I know Zaw Pizza had growlers when they first opened on Stone. Maybe call them to see if they still do growlers: 206-297-1334.

Tue, November 13 at 12:09 pm
  51. Judy said,

Wine world has growlers. I don’t know about Thanksgiving day however.

Wed, November 14 at 8:00 am
  52. koko said,

How do we get in touch with editor of wallyhood blog to discuss inappropriate posts?

Wed, November 14 at 8:53 pm
  53. Wallyhood said,

[email protected]

Wed, November 14 at 9:10 pm
  54. Julie said,

Did anyone happen upon a blue & green Raleigh balance bike at Wallingford Park in the last couple of weeks? Our 2 year old had his at a lot of his brother’s soccer games this fall, and we’ve recently discovered that it’s not hanging in the garage where we thought it was. We’ve searched Wallingford Park with no luck, but are hoping that someone kind might have picked it up. It’s certainly a stretch, but doesn’t hurt to ask…

Thu, November 15 at 12:46 pm
  55. oh no said,

As a longtime Wallingford resident, like many, I have had experiences with most local businesses. I am concerned about the comments in the school reports thread. I do not think that many or any Wallingford mothers ‘are getting the crap beat out of them” as surmised by floor pie. While this may be true, the implication and shadow this leaves makes me ill.

Please comsider how we talk to one another here on this site AND when it is time to call for social workers, 911 or make reports to social services, please do so. Many Wallingford residents are professionals; have common sense, professional ethics and care about their schools and community.

Thu, November 15 at 6:43 pm
  56. Chris said,

I am new to the Wallingford area from out of state. I must say, after living here for a while now, and observing the very pacifistic nature of people in this area, it’s pretty pathetic. I mean I had heard that Wallingford was a great place to live, honestly what I see is closer to a slum. Homes that are over 100 years old, and not maintained (at least on the outside), litter all over the place, a homeless shelter of tents on the side of the road near the highway off-ramp (45th and I-5), Graffiti everywhere especially just into the U-District. Homeless bums accosting people, begging for change and then I see them buying beer at the liquor store! And I see people giving them money from their cars. My god people, you are living in a cesspool of filth, and you all sit here and moan and whine about the police not doing anything. I know that Washington it a Democratic state, but come on! get off your butts and do something about it. Here are just a few recommendations.
    Hold a Wallingford and U-District and maybe a couple other surrounding areas town hall. Create volunteer groups to clean up litter, graffiti, form neighborhood watches of patrolling 2-3 adults for a couple hours each night on the weekend, get 50-100 people together and go and cut the trees down where the tent city is to make it more visible to the population and maybe even force them out of there yourselves. Leave your porch lights on in the front at night (lighting up the entire street), or get some nice spotlights to shine from your second floor down to the street. STOP giving money to panhandlers Period! There are many services available for them to use one of the most important ones being JOB PLACEMENT! Lots of labor work is available, they just need to be willing to actually work! Washington is a concealed carry state, get a gun. And yes… if someone is breaking into your car, detain them at gun point if you have to. Protecting your property is your right, you have an extra key in your car? or how about a garage door opener…easy targets guys. Take em in with you. You want to boycott anyplace, then start with the stores that sell liquor to obvious homeless people. Tell them to stop, tell them they not only require a license to buy but also a proof of residence (like a bill or something that matches their license). The shops that sell to homeless in the area are the worst. If they live in the area and care about the community they will stop supporting the habits that cause it to be so bad. I would also suggest petitioning the state senator to instill state income taxes too. A tax rate of 5% across the board for anyone making more than 30k per year, 2% for those making less and 10% for those who live in high crime areas – nothing is free in this world people. You want more police, you have to pay for it, and yes, that means those who use the police more should pay more since you obviously don’t want to take care of it yourselves.

Sun, November 18 at 11:35 pm
  57. Donn said,

Whether or not any of these ideas are going anywhere, the first thing you need is the neighborhood. It isn’t “Wallingford” – I believe I’m in Wallingford, too, but I’m not in your neighborhood. People in the surrounding area might be willing to entertain the idea of helping out, but you need a core group that actually lives there.

One place to start might be to page through the `back issues’ of this site and find the articles that have been written about the problem. There have been meetings with city officials, discussions about the special alcohol restrictions in the University district that have pushed the street alcoholics into Wallingford, negotiations with the store owners.

Some of your neighbors have been doing this work, may still be working on it, may welcome your involvement. (Unless you’re a nut case, eh? If you can’t keep the armed vigilante, state income tax etc. stuff under your hat and work with people on a practical level, then maybe it would be better to stick to online rants.)

Mon, November 19 at 7:17 am
  58. wayne146 said,

In general “DONN” said it quite well, and especially that last paragraph is spot on. …. To claim to be “new to the area”, and to break into a rant about your “new neighborhood” won’t win you any friends here, or anywhere.

Thu, November 22 at 12:24 am
  59. Frankie said,

Thu, November 22 at 5:40 am
  60. Michael H. said,

Frankie, :)

Fri, November 23 at 1:25 pm
  61. koko said,

lots of meetings hav ento slowed soem of the graffitti, the tent city nor the vagrants in front o fQFC or crime by 50th and Latona.. the stores still sell alcohol, the neighbors sell drugs and flatten tires… Ive lived here a long time and feel impacted by the increase of crime and vagrant requests for handouts. I owe library fines.. see me in front of QFC dfor a handout, please.

Fri, November 23 at 10:31 pm
  62. koko said,

lots of meetings have not slowed the graffitti, the tent city nor the vagrants in front of QFC or crime by 50th and Latona.. the stores still sell alcohol, the neighbors sell drugs and flatten tires… Ive lived here a long time and feel impacted by the increase of crime and vagrant requests for handouts. I owe library fines.. see me in front of QFC dfor a handout, please.

Fri, November 23 at 10:32 pm
  63. Native said,

So very hard so see and hear the horrible thingsbeing said about the “hood” where I was born and raised. What has gone wrong with the world?

Sat, November 24 at 7:49 pm
  64. Eileen said,

Woke up on Thanksgiving to find my car window broken out…and black bag stolen……don’t leave things in your car! (ANd if anyone finds a black bag, w/ black shoes..would love them back)…luckily nothing of value was stolen….but don’t like it happening in our neighborhood!

Sat, November 24 at 11:40 pm
  65. Frankie said,

Native,

Nothing has gone wrong with the world. Crime is down, across the board, especially in formerly blue collar neighborhoods, including Wallingford.mwhat you’re seeing is a combination of instant and granular data being shared and exposed. Oh and now every citizen, regular, concerned or nutty, has access to its dissemination.

Sun, November 25 at 5:35 am
  66. koko said,

the invcrease of vagrants and beggars in front of QFC is a clear visual physical presence, not data. The graffitti which hit a high peak a few years ago has subsided a bit, tho there was a huge incident 2 weeks ago on Sutra and adjoining buildings. Theft of stuff left in cars.. is disturbing and a reminder to NOT leave anything in your car.

Sun, November 25 at 3:13 pm
  67. abigail said,

Chris has some worthwhile ideas in his post. True, pointing the finger doesn’t win friends, but occasionally a newcomer can see a situation clearly and have more energy to act than those who are close to it and those who have become weary with trying. Most of all, in his post he sounds like he cares. A tip to a newcomer- Blaming and an impatient tone antagonize. Here in Seattle we discuss rather than dispute. We attend meetings, committees and so on to get anything done. Our patience and cooperation are time consuming but effective in the long run.

Query: Has anyone any news about tires being ruined with screws in Wallingford?

Mon, November 26 at 11:49 pm
  68. koko said,

I think that’s a part of his ire.. attending meetings – like the one held during the day tiem which many couldnt attend.. even if we can attend them does nOT stop the crimes being committed daily.
    I thinwe need people to patrol in front of QFC and help the ‘begging’ woman and the occasional drunk friends to get moving on.. wiith actual words phone calls to polica and any other appropriate agency. I bet no one took me upon th eidea of teaming with McDonald to patrol or watch the area around their school.
    His idea of cutting down the bushes where many homeless camp out and scare pedestrians from walking over I-5 has merit. Who wins if all we do is talk about it and go to meetings? The woman in front of QFC and her drunk friends win. The people who have deterred me from attending movies at Seven Gables because I would hav eto walk by them.. they win. The vagrants who camp out over I-5 and 45th keeping people from walking over I-5.. they win while we go to meetings. get real. Get going! ACT

Tue, November 27 at 11:36 am
  69. Kris said,

@Almond67. A lone, white male dressed up as the grim reaper showed up at our door around 9 pm on Halloween. He took us by surprise because he was the oldest, tallest and most somber trick or treater we had all evening. We live on 46th and Eastern. Hopefully the burglary on Beacon Hill was just a coincidence.

Thu, December 6 at 10:06 pm
  70. Kris said,

@Almond67 – just checked..most likely, our Wallingford grim reaper wasn’t involved in the ARMED ROBBERY on Beacon Hill. Reports said the crime took place at 9:15 pm and he was at our place at 9 pm.

Thu, December 6 at 10:10 pm
  71. suich said,

Dear Santa,

Please ask Wallyhood to bring back the Forums. I miss them very much!

Thank you!

Your friend, Suich

Sat, December 8 at 8:39 pm
  72. yesyes said,

the woman who begs is still in front of QFC.. how did that meeting make any difference?

Sun, December 9 at 9:32 am
  73. Chris said,

I’m not trying to offend anyone. I know there are some people who have tried and failed, and then others who failed to try. My frustration is in the fact that too many meetings, with NO outcome. NO actions. NO Change. Seriously people. Can you imagine if people in Wallingford started getting together ON OUR OWN, not at the behest of the politicians who are more concerned with politics. If we got together, say every month, we collected volunteers, we set specific action items to address the issues being faced. This is what it would look like to me.

1. Who volunteers to be involved. Who is committed to being involved? Take names and numbers
    2. List of all the issues that are a sore eye on our community.
    1. Graffiti
    2. Pan handlers
    3. Litter
    4. Homeless tent cities
    5. Crime – Breaking into cars etc.

3. Brainstorm of Actionable things that WE can do to remedy the situation.Just some starters:
    1. Graffiti – Every weekend have a neighborhood potluck in various areas throughout the area. We clean the graffiti.. We get the schools involved as extra credit for kids. our kids. I shouldn’t need to explain all the benefits of this. Do this on a rolling basis. – to address ongoing, see response to 5 below.

2. Pan handlers – We set up teams of people to stand next to pan handlers in groups of 5 or more with signs asking motorists not to give change. Have pictures of these very same pan handlers buying alcohol at the local stores. We do this until they decide to leave. We set up hotlines with all volunteers if they pop back up, we immediately have at least 3 people go there and continue to do this. Eventually they will realize that we are taking back our neighborhood.

3. Litter – Same as #1

4. Same as #2 as well as chop down all trees and shelter. Once you take away their way of hiding in the shadows and their income source, they will leave

5. All of the above will definitely help, but then also set up rolling patrols, to not only walk the streets during high activity hours, but also to LOOK at our neighbors cars. Do we see anything that is visible that someone might want to take? if so, walk up to the door, knock on it, and tell the person, “hey moron, you like having your windows broken and stuff stolen?” Eventually people will get the point.

All these things are legal, are done in many neighborhoods throughout the country and lead to REAL results and change.

Of course, we also want to co-ordinate with local law enforcement and community outreach programs to let them know, hey..this is what we are going to do. If you want to offer an alternative path for these people, then come and offer them your support…they’re going to need it.

So by a show of hands…How many people on this board would be willing to commit to this? Please only vote once.

Sun, December 9 at 12:28 pm
  74. yesyes said,

This is not the place for these ideas. Few go to this forum. Neighbors have fo ra long time gathred through the WCC or WNA to clean up graffiti. People attended meetings when a homeless place opened in a church. Some meetings hav eto happen to gather folks. i squandered time with the homlesss meetings and a few other community ideas to find it is not worth it anymore.
    I pick up litter by the apartment building where i live.

Mon, December 10 at 6:34 am