House Thief!

First it’s bikes gone missing, then cats and dogs, now this! Observe these before and after photos of 1809 N 43rd St:

With those leaded glass windows and that cute little balcony, we can see what attracted the thieves. What will they stoop to next?

(“Before” photo from Google Street View)

1. caroline said,

I drive down 43rd at least once a week and was shocked to see the house gone last Saturday.

I’ve lived in the ‘hood for close to 19 years and two of the four places I’ve lived have been torn down to build townhomes/condos during the big housing boom. (The first a house on 50th right behind the 50th St. Deli, the other a set of post-war brick triplexes on Wallingford Ave – which broke my heart.) I was hoping that with the new economy that it wouldn’t be happening anymore. Guessed wrong.

Does anyone know what is going to be built there?

Mon, September 20 at 12:00 pm
  2. public school mom said,

Just to ease all your worries Wallyhood… we’ll be building a new one family residence that will totally fit in with the hood. No townhouses or metal/glass modern homes here. A year from now when you drive by you probably won’t even be able to tell that it wasn’t always there.

In the meantime… thanks to all our awesome neighbors for their patience as construction takes place.

Mon, September 20 at 12:09 pm
  3. NancyM said,

Please take good care with that vintage Cedar tree to the south!

Mon, September 20 at 12:21 pm
  4. Kristin said,

Public School Mom,

Thanks for the entertainment! My son had a great time watching the excavator. Best of luck during the remodel. And, I have some short video clips of the event if you want them.

Mon, September 20 at 1:12 pm
  5. kerrizor said,

Sadly the definition of “fits in the neighborhood” and “single family home” encompass quite a range (I’m looking at you, giant monstrosity on Corliss and 41st!)

Mon, September 20 at 1:26 pm
  6. public school mom said,

Nancy M… that tree is two lots down from us. Not in our way at all, don’t fret. Kerrizor, I understand your skepticism… I hope we don’t dissapoint; although you can’t please everyone and we all have different tastes. I’d love to post a picture of our design but not sure how to do it (Wallyhood, help me out?) However, I’m sure that there will always be critics. Let’s just be sure to remember what our mothers said…”If you don’t have anything nice to say….”

Mon, September 20 at 1:35 pm
  7. Wallyhood said,

@psm Drop me an e-mail at [email protected] with whatever you that you feel like sharing (photos, architect drawings, buried treasure maps). We’d love to write it up for the neighbors to enjoy.

Mon, September 20 at 1:43 pm
  8. kerrizor said,

@ PSM – *shrug* you’ve got the money, do what you want — I’ve just been in the neighborhood long enough to see far too many wonderful homes razed to be replaced by 3 story monstrosities with non-functional yards, porches too small for humans, too few windows (“hide inside our fortress!!”) to think that new construction is going to be at all attractive. Modern monied architecture is sorely lacking.

Eh, I’m a bitchy cynic about such things, who generally thinks most people today don’t have any sense of aesthetics. Don’t mind me. :)

Mon, September 20 at 2:27 pm
  9. Kristin said,

Cynics and skeptics are great for making sure we’re all doing our best. I’m asking you to remember to pass along your compliments once the house is done (assuming you like what you see).

Mon, September 20 at 4:35 pm
  10. kerrizor said,

@kristen – well of course! They’ll find a jar of jam (made from neighborhood fruit tress) on their doorstep :)

Mon, September 20 at 5:22 pm
  11. Margaret said,

@kerrizor — Wallyjam….I like it! Spread the love! :-)

Mon, September 20 at 5:40 pm
  12. Janey said,

Wish they could have found some way to move that darling bungalow somewhere first (South Park?)! Otherwise, good luck with the remodel and know that most of us here welcome new neighbors!

Mon, September 20 at 7:42 pm
  13. Paul Moon said,

Hello all,

I am the architect for the home and I appreciate all of your comments! It is great to see people so involved in their neighborhood. I do a lot of traditional style homes in some of the area’s older neighborhoods and we worked really hard to to design a home that feels appropriate in both scale and aesthetics. It is also important for me to note that we first looked at remodeling the existing house, but the costs were almost as much as the new home. Additionally, we took all of the materials back to the demolition contractor’s yard where they are being separated and recycled. When finished, the house may not be “your style” but it will certainly fit the scale of the neighborhood and hopefully everyone feels it is a positive addition!

Paul

Mon, September 20 at 8:15 pm
  14. Chris R said,

Congratulations on getting started on your new house. We look forward to seeing it!

Mon, September 20 at 10:05 pm
  15. kirk said,

I think I saw some one trying to sell that house at the Fremont Sunday Street Market. You can probably catch the thief next weekend if you get there early.

Tue, September 21 at 1:30 pm
  16. Amy said,

Is this the same house?:

Tue, September 21 at 2:04 pm
  17. public school mom said,

Yes, Amy it is the same house that was featured in the article. Thanks for posting.

Tue, September 21 at 2:45 pm
  18. Joanne said,

Lived across the street from that house for 40 yrs. It was not a cute bungalow and the floor plan was atrocious….couldn’t even get to the basement from inside and the stairway going to the 2nd floor was horrendously steep! Would love to go thru the new one when it is done!

Fri, September 24 at 6:40 pm
  19. Kristin said,

Just a follow-up to those who were interested in the house that is going up to replace the one that was torn down. We live around the corner from it and have been watching the progress. It’s turned out to be quiet lovely and fits incredibly well in that spot, balancing the larger and smaller houses on either side. I’d suggest you take a look and pass out some compliments to the hard workers. I can’t wait to see what it will look like when it’s finished!

Mon, March 21 at 9:43 am
  20. Kristin said,

Public School Mom,

Welcome back home! Did Kerrizor deliver that jam to you door, yet?

Mon, July 4 at 7:25 pm

My Beautiful Bow – An Adoption Story

Ask any adoptive parent, and they will tell you that discussing adoption with their children doesn’t happen in merely one,...