Did you know? Solid waste rates increased 15% for residential customers effective January 1, 2012.
New monthly garbage rates – for weekly curbside collection:
- 12 gallon micro-can: $17.55
- 20 gallon mini-can: $21.55
- one 32 gallon can: $28.05
- two 32 gallon or one 64 gallon cart: $56.10
- three 32 gallon or one 96 gallon cart: $84.15
- additional 32 gallon can: $28.05
- extra garbage, per bundle: $8.60
Food and yard waste rates also increased. New monthly charges for weekly collection:
- 13 gallon mini-can: $4.65
- 32 gallon can: $6.95
- 96 gallon cart: $8.95
- extra yard waste, per bundle: $4.45
Now would be a good time to downsize to a smaller garbage can. Food waste makes up over 30% of Seattle’s garbage. Paper waste makes up almost 20%. If you recycle all of the materials that are acceptable in your recycle bin and separate your yard and food waste, you should have very little left to go into your garbage can.
For some special items (computers, cell phones, unwearable clothing and shoes, styrofoam), we have local recyclers who will help you keep those items out of your garbage can. Stay tuned to Wallyhood where you will soon find Recycling information under Wallingford Resources.
To change the size of your garbage, yard/food waste, or recycling container, go to SPU Manage Your Account or call 206-684-3000. You will need your Seattle Public Utilities account number and the last name of the account holder to authorize a change.