April is National Poetry Month, and Open Books, Wallingford’s poetry-only bookstore, will be hosting events and offering special discounts through the end of the month. These include family- and student-friendly initiatives and new ways to engage with poetry within the store, which is located at 2414 N. 45th St. Check out what’s going on this month, and make sure to stop by.
For Kids & Adults Alike
- 15% discount for students and teachers: Throughout the entire month, students and teachers, including K-12 and college level, receive a 15% discount.
- April 27, Poem in Your Pocket Day: We’ll be handing out specially designed pocket poems to visitors of the store. These will feature work from Writers in the Schools poets. We’re also joining with Seattle Civic Poet Claudia Castro Luna to host a reading at El Centro de la Raza at 1:30.
- WITS on Display: Broadsides from Writers in the School poets will be hanging inside Open Books all month.
Celebrate Local Business
- April 29, Independent Bookstore Day: We’ll feature extended hours, 10 a.m.-7 p.m., and serve up poetry-inspired snacks. Learn more about Independent Bookstore Day here, and follow Seattle Independent Bookstore Day on Facebook.
Engage with Writers and Writing
- Prompt of the Week: We’re featuring an in-store prompt every Tuesday.
- Friday 5 o’clock Listening Parties: Every Friday we’ll play recordings of poets reading their work.
- Poetry Mic Check: Throughout the month, we’ll occasionally tweet photos of a book from our shelves; the first person to respond with a photo of the same book from their shelves gets a $5 in-store credit.
- Mount Analogue Display: We’ll feature a display of erasures in collaboration with local press Mount Analogue through the end of the month. The exhibit launched on April 9 with a reception featuring publisher/founder Colleen Louise Barry and poet Catherine Bresner.
- Don’t forget to check out Open Books’ Events Calendar, which is always being updated with new and exciting readings and events.
Learn more about National Poetry Month events at Open Books here.
Open Books is open Tuesday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m., and Sundays, 12-4 p.m.