The Neighborhood Street Fund is a program by which citizens can propose transportation-related work in their neighborhoods — work to be performed by Seattle DOT. The Move Seattle Levy, which the voters approved in 2015, contributed $24 million to this fund. So this is your tax dollars at work, folks. The improvements slated for 40th St., which we’ve written about here, is an example of an NSF project.
If you haven’t proposed a project yourself and don’t really plan to, you can still participate in the process. Subsequent to each round of proposals, SDOT seeks input from citizens to help them decide which projects people feel are most important. We are now in one such citizen input part of the cycle. If you want your voice to be heard, you may want to consider attending this meeting:
- What: Neighborhood Street Fund Project Prioritization Meeting
- When: Wednesday, February 27, 6-7:30
- Where: Good Shepherd Center, Room 202, 4649 Sunnyside Ave.
The meeting will start promptly with presentations on each project, and then attendees will get the opportunity to score the projects. If you cannot attend, fear not. These are modern times, and we have the internet. You can use the online system to score the projects. (Later, you’ll be able to vote on the final set of scored projects.) But don’t delay. The deadline for your input is Friday, March 1.
Here is a complete list of proposed projects city-wide with a map showing where they all are. Below, I’ve pulled out the projects in our neighborhood, and provided links to the proposal information. Remember, these are only proposed projects. All, some or none might get done depending upon our input.
Proposed NSF projects for Wallingford:
- Meridian Ave. Greenway from Northlake Way to N 45th St.
- A Safe Link from Wallingford to the U District: NE 45th Street Corridor Bike/Walk Access Improvements to University District Light Rail Station
- Bagley N35th Pacific intersection improvement
- Traffic calming humps on Interlake between 39th St and 40th St
- Neighborhood Crossing Safety Improvements for Kids, and everyone else! Work to take place at the intersection of Wallingford Ave. and N. 48th St.
- Fixing the intersection of Green Lake Way N and N 50th Street
- Traffic calming circles along 1st Ave between 58th St. and 63rd St.