Karen O’Connor at the Seattle Parks Department sent over an update on the Wallingford Playfield playground equipment upgrade:
Seattle Parks and Recreation expects the new play area to be open by June 15, or earlier. Final design adjustments and severe weather slowed construction.
Due to safety concerns, minor design changes were required. The play structures are the same, but the planned mound under the play equipment needed to be removed. As a replacement for the mound additional play features have been added.
- An Oodle Swing
- Three musical equipment pieces: Cascata Bells, a Kettle Drum and a Kundu Drum
- Monkey bars beneath the bridge
- A firepole, ladder and slide
New play features have been ordered and next steps include:
- Install play features
- Install a curb for the sand box and an ADA ramp into the tot-lot
- Remove and replace the rubber surfacing; this work is weather-dependent & requires dry weather
- Install engineered wood fiber safety surfacing
Our project team and contractor, L.S. Sundstrom, are working hard to open the play area as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through final design and construction issues. We look forward to opening the play area by summer.
More information available at the Wallingford Playfield Play Area Renovation website.