Ah, but this is THE Wallingford home, as in the home that once belonged to John Wallingford, after whom our dear little neighborhood was named. It’s standing in all its wee craftsman glory up on 1624 N 50th St, just east of the southeast tip of Woodland Park.
According to HistoryLink, John arrived in Seattle from Maine via Minnesota in 1888, after having fought for the Union in the Civil War:
Following the civil war John Wallingford returned to Minnesota and his general store. By the time he arrived in Seattle, he also had managed a lumberyard in Napa City, California, for 14 years. The solvent Wallingford, at last, settled in Seattle in 1888 — the perfect year to extend roots here if one’s interests were in buying and selling land. Wallingford’s were. As his 1903 biographer put it, “Mr. Wallingford has made judicious investments and closely watching market values he has so handled his prosperity that it has brought him an excellent return upon his investment.”
The article goes on to note that Wallingford’s “daughter, Emma, married William D. Wood (1858-1917), the Wallingford’s neighbor to the north, developer of the Green Lake district and one time Mayor of Seattle.” It is a relief the neighborhood was named for Mr. Wallingford himself, and not his son-in-law or their progency, as “Woodhood” would make an odd name for a neighborhood blog.