Early word is that the Senior Center fundraiser held Thursday night raised over $10,000 to help pay off back-rent and back-pay, a great demonstration of the will of the community to keep the center open. If you haven’t yet, read Erin’s beautifully written write-up on the event for all the details.
And don’t forget, we’re holding a fundraiser auction for the Senior Center here on Wallyhood, as well. 100% of proceeds will go towards keeping the Senior Center open (or, if the decision is made that it can not re-open, to FamilyWorks, the Wallingford-based food bank and social service group).
Here’s a quick rundown of the items up for auction and where the bids are as of this writing:
- Dell Latitude D600 Laptop: Still a bargain at $190, donated by InterConnection
- Wallyhood Honey: Yep, a quart jar of Wallingford’s finest honey, lovingly gathered by Wallingford bees. High bid is $60, but it’s worth more than its golden color.
- Design Consultation with Joseph Hurley: We’ve been inside his house on Ashworth. We’ve seen his new house go up across from Mosaic. The man knows what he’s doing. $80 for 2 hours of his time is a steal. If Joe designed a doghouse, we’d move in.
- Dinner for 2 at Avila: You, your sweetheart, candles, a meal you’ll talk about for months. Do it. $120
- Handcrafted Dog Treats: Man’s best friend deserves the best. $30
- Massage from Essential Life Therapy: Who deserves a massage more than you? Nobody, that’s who. $75
- Personal Trainer / Gym Membership: When we go to the gym, we have no idea what to do. All those machines, what’s a good workout? Well, how about getting yourself two appointments with a personal trainer who will show you what to do, plus a month’s membership at Fuerte Fitness to try it out? $75
- Seattle’s Best Boot Camp: Personal trainer and a gym not your style? Perhaps you’d prefer a 3x / week workout with an instructor, just in time to get work off that holiday flab? $120
- Professional Photo Session: Just in time for those holiday cards…or however you want to use it. Let David Moise capture you in your best light. $100
- Satch & Sol Slippers: Get your cozy on with two pairs of Satch & Sol slippers, made of breathable felted wool by a Mongolian fair trade cooperative with eco-friendly traditional felting skills, hand-delivered by Barak Obama. OK, maybe not the last part, but still. $65
And there are still a few items waiting their first bid, which means you can steal ‘em! Are you in charge of a holiday party, and want a live brass band to perform? Bid on it! Need some parenting advice from a professional? Get it, a cup of coffee and the knowledge that you’re helping the senior center. Want to capture memories in a novel way? How about a professionally authored Life History?