Ah, the Wallingford Wurst Festival. What a grand old tradition. It is the best of times, it is the Wurst of times, you could say.
This year, the Festival will be Friday, Sept. 17th, 4 PM – 10 PM and Saturday, Sept. 18th, 10 AM – 10 PM in the playground and building of St. Benedict School. They are in their 28th year of housing Festivals and no Wurst for wear.
What’s the Wurst that can happen?
- Food! Wursts of course! With sauerkraut! If this gives your arteries a turn for the Wurst, you can opt for grilled salmon, pasta or Caesar salad. The basement hosts the mother of all bake sales and outside there’s a Biergarten. As for the danger of overeating, prepare for the Wurst, hope for the best. Or take leftovers home: remember, Wurst not, want not.
- Said Biergarten features live music with dancing from 9 PM onwards. A fun way to Wurst time.
- The kids? They’ll want to come in the Wurst way. There are lots of inflatable rides and games with prizes. When trying to win at the games, remember Haste makes Wurst.
- Craft booths. All kinds of interesting goodies for sale. A good way to distract the kids if the rides and games take a turn for the Wurst.
- Book Sale and Raffle. More distractions in case things go from bad to Wurst.
According to St. Ben’s website, “The Great Wallingford Wurst Festival is the largest yearly gathering in Wallingford” attracting more than 10,000 visitors and is a fund-raiser for the school.
Well, we’ve covered the Wurst of it. Check it out for yourself and have the world’s Wurst day! When it comes to puns, this Festival is its own Wurst enemy!