Chow Foods to open ‘TNT Taqueria’

The paper covering the windows of the Chow Foods storefront at 2114 N. 45th Street will soon be removed to unveil a new mexican quick-serve restaurant. Peter Levy of Chow Foods tells us that “TNT Taqueria” will open around mid-July, and he assures us that the food will be yummy. Levy also tells us that they’ll be serving beer at that location.

Chow Foods owns and operates several neighborhood eateries including the 5 Spot on Queen Anne and Endolyne Joe’s in West Seattle. The new taqueria will fill the empty space which was formerly The Jitterbug.

We’d like to thank Olivier Guinart who spotted the liquor license application in the window today! Nice work!

1. Nancy Sutherland said,

Yay!!! Great news.

Thu, May 17 at 12:34 pm
  2. Dennis said,

Really great to see a restaurant in that spot again.

Thu, May 17 at 2:38 pm
  3. DOUG. said,

Holy crap. Awesome! (And about time, Chow Foods).

Thu, May 17 at 5:50 pm
  4. Como se dice said,

OK, it will be nice to see this spot active once again, BUT

Riddle me this, Batman:

There was NOTHING wrong – from a patron’s-eye-view – with Jitterbug.

So why did it have to go? There was nothing, NOTHING! wrong with the menu, and the staff there was delightful. So was what was it?

Thu, May 17 at 5:56 pm
  5. coolio said,

it was too expensive
    the Beeliner was a tremendous hit!

Thu, May 17 at 7:05 pm
  6. MaryM said,

Vote #2 for reviving the Beeliner…I miss the old “Frog in the hole”!

Thu, May 17 at 8:04 pm
  7. Jon said,

I vote with the revival of the Beeliner……and as long as we are at it, how about bringing along the Fuji 5 & 10 cent (I don’t even have a symbol for cent on my key board which may tell us something) store!!!!

Fri, May 18 at 10:30 am
  8. Jon said,

Keep the Fainting Goat and Sock Monster though….we need them.

Fri, May 18 at 10:31 am
  9. Ffej said,

The reason the owners closed Beeliner Diner, as I remember it (from articles published at the time) was that (a) with the relatively small size of the restaurant, they couldn’t bring in enough income to keep it profitable (at least, relative to Chow’s other restaurants at the time), and (b) the small size of the kitchen was not enjoyed by the cooking staff.

I would assume they’d have the same issues with TNT Taqueria, but you’d be hard pressed to find someone more ignorant about the restaurant business than me.

Fri, May 18 at 11:35 am
  10. Como se dice said,

Coolio, you set me straight – I meant the BEELINER, but some of my synpses were on vacation and I could only access memories as far back as The Jitterbug (which, to tell the truth I never patronized because I was in a snit over the loss of The BEELINER.)

So yes, I am with those who wish for the return of the BEELINER somewhere in Wallyhood someday.

…wasn’t it “Toad in the Hole”? That was some good amphibian. Toad you so.

Fri, May 18 at 5:48 pm
  11. Margie said,

I am so happy we are getting another restaurant…but tacos, really? We need more tacos on 45th? We already have 2 great choices with Casa Azul and Rancho Bravo…and of course Taco Time :) . It seems something besides sushi, Thai or tacos could do really well without hurting the existing businesses.

I, too, miss Beeliner. A GREAT breakfast place would do so well here.

Sun, May 20 at 5:55 pm
  12. jason said,

The kvetching here is amusing since The Beeliner became The Jitterbug under the *same* owners.

And I will agree that a place offering brunch along the same lines as The Jitterbug would be great to have back in our neighborhood. I’m liking The Burgundian so far, but the other options range from expensive (Tilth) to mediocre (Blue Star, Julia’s, Elysian) to ‘wouldn’t eat there again on a dare’ (Rusty Pelican).

Sun, May 20 at 8:34 pm
  13. coolio said,

well pardon me for setting you straight.. that’s akin to jumping all over someone..
    I am going back on posting ban.
    bummer to the tummer

Sun, May 20 at 8:35 pm
  14. tri-p said,

Coolio, you were on a posting ban???

Mon, May 21 at 8:02 am
  15. Wally Neighbor said,

Have you folks NEVER been to Voula’s?!? It’s right next door to the Northlake Tavern down by Ivars……

Hands down the best breakfast in Wallingford…..and I’ve tried them all. If you’re looking for the best diner food around, this is it.

They’ve been featured several times on the Food Networks “Diner’s, Drive-Thru’s and Dives” because the food it THAT good. Best hashbrowns anywhere. You should check them out if you’re looking for great diner options!

Mon, May 21 at 10:42 am
  16. protected static said,

What @Wally Neighbor said: Voula’s rocks.

Mon, May 21 at 10:51 am
  17. Katie said,

I’m with the other posters lamenting the loss of Beeliner and Jitterbug. Where can a girl get decent pancakes on 45th these days?? A brunch place would have been much better. Or Italian! (a la Panevino on Capitol Hill).

I’m also bummed that Joule is leaving 45th. Anyone know what’s going in that space?

Mon, May 21 at 11:12 am
  18. iyqtoo said,

re Voula’s: Don’t sit at the bar. Watching those hashbrowns get oiled from a giant watering can as they grill might ruin the experience. Can’t bring myself to go back.

Mon, May 21 at 1:35 pm
  19. protected static said,

@iyqtoo – it ain’t low-fat, that’s for sure…

Mon, May 21 at 1:47 pm
  20. jason said,

@Wally Neighbor, I’m interested in checking out any good brunch place, even if it’s actually a U District restaurant ;) I’ve honestly avoided it, though, because anything connected to Guy Fieri is automatically suspect. The coverage is fine, but his name on the menu implied not so good things.

Mon, May 21 at 3:53 pm
  21. coolio said,

I put self on limited posting.. a complete ban did not quite work.. but the reduction is good. Some people didnt like my words, style or beliefs and as it got personal I made a great decision.

Mon, May 21 at 4:46 pm
  22. abigail said,

Please, foodies ,post the name of a place to get a delicious , genuine, maybe even grass fed hamburger in Wallingford. Uneeda is outstanding but that’s over near the zoo.

And, oh, yes, i miss The Beeliner Diner. Great food, friendly staff, good atmosphere. the decor was definitely something else.

Mon, May 21 at 6:39 pm
  23. tri-p said,

Dicks. What more do you need?

Mon, May 21 at 6:53 pm
  24. Lauren said,

abigail, the burger at The Burgundian is very good. Way better than Uneeda’s. I don’t think it is grass fed though.

Mon, June 25 at 12:20 pm
  25. Heather said,

Abigail, we will have northwest grass fed hamburgers on our menu here at TNT.

Mon, June 25 at 12:34 pm
  26. common sense said,

marvelous news
    what is projected date?

Mon, June 25 at 12:54 pm
  27. Heather said,

Mid-July, we don’t have an exact date yet. I’ll announce it once we do!

Mon, June 25 at 4:25 pm
  28. Janey said,

Oh, my — grass-fed burgers and tacos, too? How much better can it get?

Oh, I know — we need a Vietnamese restaurant. I’m trying to lobby the Green Leaf, but they’re still in growing pains with their new Belltown location! (But wonderful food!)

Mon, June 25 at 6:04 pm
  29. Reeve said,

Shouldn’t be too hard to scream past Taco Time & Casa Yuck Azul…but they have pretty good competition in Racho Bravo. I look fwd to seeing what they bring to the table!

Sat, June 30 at 5:29 pm
  30. Donn said,

We have been happy with Casa Azul overall. I suspect for any restaurant in the area, there is probably someone who’d be happy to slag it in a forum like this. If you haven’t been there yourself, don’t be overly put off by that.

Sat, June 30 at 7:31 pm
  31. common sense said,

I enjoyTaco Time food on occasion; Rancho Bravo rocks! My meal at casa Azul was a disappointment.

Sat, June 30 at 8:51 pm
  32. Eunice said,

We have enjoyed Casa Azul many times. The food has been delicious and the staff incredibly kind. I’m always surprised that it isn’t more crowded.

Sun, July 1 at 2:48 pm
  33. Lauren Edlund said,

I liked Rancho Bravo a lot when it first opened. But lately, it wasn’t as good as it had been in the past.

Sun, July 1 at 4:08 pm

B.F. Day earns top award for Special Ed

Many thanks to Toby Jarman who provided us with this story! Congratulations to B.F. Day Elementary School for receiving the Outstanding School Award from...