RIP, Doggy Style

For some, this may be old news, and I mean, really old news. But for me, well, I’m embarrassed to say I really didn’t notice that the Doggy Style East Coast Hot Dog stand was closed for good until two weeks ago, when I saw that the sign had been completely peeled off of the plywood on top of the space.

So you can imagine my surprise when I called Big Wheel Auto Parts, only to find out that Doggy Style had been closed since January.

In my defense though, that hot dog stand never kept regular hours, and always seemed like it was closed more than it was open (see our original story).

So long, Doggy Style. We hardly knew ye.

1. kerrizor said,

I think I saw them open once.

Sat, August 18 at 9:08 am
  2. Junipero said,

@1 – that’s one more time than I ever saw them open. I was starting to wonder if it was a front for criminal activity or something. I would love a hot dog stand in the neighborhood. Hopefully someone else can actually make it work.

Sat, August 18 at 11:06 am
  3. All City said,

We were inquiring about the space a while back but it wouldn’t have worked for our store. Rumor is the proprietor had some health issues FWIW

Sat, August 18 at 12:17 pm
  4. Bits said,

The hot dogs were overpriced and not so good….tiny with odd little white bread buns. No match for some of the awesome stands in Seattle, like Al’s sausage etc

Sat, August 18 at 1:44 pm
  5. Impliedobserver said,

One day i saw a hotdog stand in the walgreens parking lot. Not sure if they’re there regularly.

Sat, August 18 at 1:47 pm
  6. Erica Doctor said,

We like Diggity Dog, for those looking for hot dogs in the ‘hood. Up by Elysian.

Sat, August 18 at 2:05 pm
  7. Leonard said,

This reminds me… I once worked with a fellow who aspired to own a business, because, he explained, ” then I could take vacation any time I wanted.”

Here’s an example of how well that business model works.

“Doggy Style” we hardly knew ye, and we were NEVER able to sample your wares.

Adios, Chihuahua!

Sat, August 18 at 8:11 pm
  8. chris said,

I loved it, and it was $3.00 for a great dog and chips — not that over priced compared to the other options in the neighborhood!

The buns were east coast style, with the flat sides, not hot dog rolls like you usually get out here. They actually special ordered them from Massachusetts. It truly was an East Coast hot dog experience.

Sadly, while the guys who worked there were super nice guys, they didn’t seem like super great businessmen, with very weird hours (noon to six) and zero promotion. A simply sidewalk sign on the corner of Stone and 45th would have probably doubled their business.

Anyway, I was very sad to see them gone, and kept hoping they’d be back. My son went there every week on his way to Off the Wall and he loved it.

Sun, August 19 at 1:38 pm
  9. Andrew said,

I live 5 mins from their location and I LOVE hot dogs. I never saw them open, so they never got a $1 from me. I made a few trips to them special shortly after they opened. The hours just didn’t work for this hot dog lover. too bad!

Sun, August 19 at 4:09 pm
  10. jacqui said,

We loved the East Coast buns! The owners didn’t understand how to sell the product, however. The first time we went, they said, “Really? You want to eat here?” The next time they bad-mouthed our choices (which we loved), saying they didn’t understand why anyone would buy them. The last time we saw them, they were out of buns. (They were flying them in from the East Coast.)

I really felt for them when it got cold – they were slightly below ground level, and the windchill was just going straight down into their cooking area. They were really freezing when we last saw them.

Tue, August 21 at 10:00 am
  11. Sara B said,

I never saw them open. I tried to go there once during their “open hours” and they were closed. I live 3 blocks from there, and was looking forward to trying it. Very strange.

Wed, August 22 at 8:59 am

Serving Up Love Alongside Lunch

This past year I had the pleasure of spending many hours in the lunchroom of the joint “McDonald-Lowell APP Elementary...