Happy first anniversary to Sock Monster, Wallingford’s very own sock-centric retail shop on 45th. We checked in with Sock Monster owner Holly Gummelt recently, to see how things are going. And she sure does have a lot of news.
First, the pinball machine and sodas are gone. But this is really a good thing, because those items were actually placeholders until the shop grew a bit, which it has.
Today, there is a kids corner where the pinball machine once stood. You can get custom hula hoops. Or panties that do not ride up during yoga. Really! Cool new stuff at Sock Monster includes:
- Sock garters. For mid-calf to thigh-high socks. They are snazzy looking, too. If you order ‘em 3 weeks ahead of time, custom garters can be ordered for weddings, and other fancy occasions like Trolloween.
- Xylem Intimates. Holly describes them thus, “Sexy granny panties that won’t ride up during yoga.” They’re pretty too.
- Wallingford Hula Hoops. Sock Monster stocks local, Wallingford-made hula hoops for kids ($20-25) and adults ($35-50), including dance weight. Hoops can be customized as well, striped or reflective, etc. And every hula hoop you buy comes with a one hour hula hoop lesson. Sweet.
- Kids corner. Now carrying socks for wee tootsies, even premie size. Kids socks are made of recycled materials. Baby and toddler sized socks are organic, too.
- Online store. An online store is being built right now! The website (thesockmonster.com) is a placeholder for now, but you can sign up to be notified when the online store goes live. The online store will feature products made by local, women-owned businesses, like Sock It To Me and Rock Socks.
Sock Monster carries tights, yoga socks, handmade soap, toys for the kids, and more. Actually, they’ve got more cool stuff than I can describe here, so check ‘em out next time you’re in the hood. While you’re at it, check out the floor because Sock Monster and Wallyhood have teamed up to bring you an anniversary contest.
All you have to do is tell us what is painted on the floor of the store for your chance to receive a $20 credit at the store. If you haven’t been in the store yet, Holly will be happy to show you around.
Post your answer in the comments section here, or to the Wall on the Wallyhood Facebook Page, and you’ll be entered in our random drawing from a selection of correct answers. We’ll announce the winner on Wednesday.
1. Limit one entry per person in the comments section below and on the Wallyhood Facebook Wall. (Yep, the savvy contestant can double their chances of winning by entering once in both places!)
2. Winner will be notified by Wallyhood and will receive a $20 credit at Sock Monster
Congratulations and Happy Anniversary, Sock Monster! And good luck to all our contest entrants!